By: Mahsa Gholizadeh, Design Manager - Interact Group
Most often, Interior Design and Interior Decoration or decor are mistaken to mean the same thing. Though many similarities exist between the two, they cannot be thought to mean the same things as both perform different roles in the process to give a perfect finish. To understand how critically different the two are, let’s look at their scope of work:
· Interior Design is related to conceptualization of design ideas, to building, to handing over of the project. It is an art and a science that seeks to understand the behaviour of people in the design process. To do this, an interior designer would try to understand how the space, light, sound and other design aspects could affect the behaviour of people and ergonomics. They also manage and monitor construction, structural engineering and installation of design process. Interior Decoration is however not involved in the entire design, but follows the process based on the design. An interior decorator usually be focuses on furnishing, artwork and textures and would start with the process of decorating once the space and other functionalities have been determined by the Interior Designer.
· An interior designer needs to have a degree from an accredited institution to practise. The interior designer is required to have knowledge on architecture, engineering, technology design, adaptive reuse, MEP and general construction, as they would be working closely with professionals from this field. Interior decorators however can practice with a décor certification, and works closely with the interior designer according to the process.
· Interior design is concerned with the health and safety of people using the functional space. It deals with major projects involving technical, architectural, artistic and design technology. Interior decoration is geared towards appeal to sight of the end user by attempting to capture their personality and style and express them within the design space.
· Whilst interior design is concerned with the entire process of design from space planning to manipulation, interior decoration is mainly concerned with interior finishing, embellishment and enhancement.
· Interior design works with form and function. Interior decoration works with style and mood.